- Publisher: Hay House Business (2024-01-09)
- Language: English
- Paperback: 232 pages
- ISBN-13: 9781401974275
- Item Weight: 368.55 grams
- Dimensions: 0.0 x 0.0 x 0.0 cm
Leadership lessons from Captain Sandy Yawn, a renowned superyacht captain with over 30 years of international maritime experience, and star of the reality show Below Deck Mediterranean.
Everyone experiences a moment in life when they need to lead. Sometimes it's a team, sometimes it's a company, a classroom, a patient ward, a family, or simply your own individual self. Based on the leadership lessons she's gathered from her resourceful and resilient life, Captain Sandy, a superyacht captain and star of Bravo's Below Deck Mediterranean, shares the leadership skills and critical thinking inherent to being a captain that can empower anyone to navigate their way to a successful life.
Among some of the stories/lessons she'll share:
- How she selects and sizes up her crew even before embarking on a charter, deciding who to invest in and how to bring out their best.
- Things happen at sea. No matter how much you plan and train, so much can go wrong so she'll discuss the level of persistence and faith that's required in solving an especially knotty problem.
- Authority and discipline are required to lead, but they must be leavened with compassion, understanding, and a desire to see your crew succeed.
- She describes the seamless flow that happens in great teamwork and how she loves seeing the way her deckhands pitch in with the stews when needed. For Captain Sandy, this represents leading with empathy, figuring out who your teammates are and what motivates them, then communicating in a way that motivates and makes them feel understood.
- As a captain, Sandy is constantly upgrading her knowledge and skill set, which is as much a part of her job as steering a vessel. Sustaining excellence requires constant effort, whether you find yourself at the end of a journey, halfway through or at the start of a new one. And the learning never stops.
Woven throughout her stories are Captain Sandy's optimism and abiding faith that, given the right tools and opportunities, individuals are capable of so much more than they realize, especially when they can find someone to believe in them.
About the Author
Captain Sandra Yawn, a.k.a. Captain Sandy, is a leader and a businesswoman. As a renowned superyacht captain with over 30 years of international maritime experience, Yawn has broken through the proverbial glass ceiling to achieve the highest status in an industry where women at the helm are rare. She's earned accolades from the International Superyacht Society, which honored Yawn with the prestigious Distinguished Crew Award for her heroism in ensuring the safety of all guests, crew and the vessel during a catastrophic fire in pirate-controlled waters that occurred in 2004 off the coast of Yemen.
In 2015 she became a series lead on Bravo's hit series Below Deck Mediterranean. Now in her sixth season with the show, Yawn has broken through yet another barrier to become a powerful female role model and one of the network's most beloved and respected personalities.